Thursday, November 3, 2011

Pea Soup

I recently purchased How to Eat by Nigella Lawson because it was a great deal on ibooks and I can't pass up a great deal on a cookbook, especially one of hers.  She has a really simple approach to food that I like. One of the recipes for a simple fast dinner is a pea soup.  It is 3 cups of frozen peas and 2 cups veg bullion broth, boil it for a few minutes and then blend in a blender.  I LOVE pea soup so this was especially appealing.  She has a bunch of different suggestions for adding flavor complexity, she suggests adding a parm rind or using ham broth.  I fried some bacon (obviously not vegetarian if you use the bacon) that I needed to eat and crumbled it on top with a crouton and some cheese and then broiled it a la´ French Onion Soup.  I was delicious and took about 5 mintes, literally.  Note: I find that a lot of store bought veg broth has an unappealing flavor but I have been using Better Than Bullion Vegetable Base lately and I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment